Self-catering getaways in Hawkshead
Hawkshead is a village and civil Parish in Cumbria. Like nearby Coniston, it falls within part of the historic county of Lancashire. Hawkshead holiday homes are a popular choice amongst those looking to enjoy a walking holiday. Indeed, the Lake District provides ideal ground for hill-walking and rambling, as well as any number of outdoor activities. Hawkshead holiday cottages will allow you to explore this fascinating village. A lot of the architecture here dates back to the 17th century. There are also many pubs here, so for a tradition Great British real ale, this is a nice place to be.
Top 5 things to do & see whilst renting a Hawkshead holiday home
The location here is excellent. Relatively central, from here one can reach many other popular tourist destinations in the Lake District such as Portinscale and Braithwaite. In Hawkshead itself, there is more than enough to keep you entertained. Below is a list of the top 5 attractions for anyone staying in a Hawkshead holiday rental:
- Beatrix Potter attractions. One of Britain's most renowned childrens authors stayed here and there are a couple of things worth seeing. Hill Top House is Beatrix Potter's former Farmhouse. Beatrix Potter Gallery displays some of her illustrations as well as original manuscripts
- Grizedale Forest is a gorgeous forest and the ideal place for active people looking to enjoy some mountain bking or hiking. On top of that, there is an outdoor art museum, showcasing sculptures which are scattered throughout the forest
- For more outdoor fun, try fishing in Esthwaite Water Trout Fishery. Relax in stunning scenery as you catch dinner to cook later in your Hawkshead holiday cottage
- Hawkshead Grammar School is a fascinating museum, and takes visitors back in time to see what school-life was like here in the 17th century. The school was founded in 1585 and the building itself is a sight to see
- Finally, Whinlatter Forest Park is another place for outdoor activities
Each of the above attractions are appropriate for the whole family.